Button is Hiring a
Location: Canada (Preference to Victoria, BC)
Min. Experience: Mid Level
About Button: Our mission is to tackle key challenges within the digital government space and private sector, providing world-leading solutions that are transparent, scalable, and value driven. We care about projects that help combat climate change, build strong partnerships, and have meaningful social impact. We’re looking for a UX/UI Designer who thrives on problem solving, communication, and loves to build bridges between the development team and the needs of government users and citizens alike. You’ll have an eye for detail, a user-focused approach, and a passion for design thinking.
As a snapshot, you’ll work as part of an Agile team in a creative workspace where multi-disciplinary teams of public servants and private sector consultants collaborate on solutions for the public sector. Our ideal candidate for this role will have strong communication skills and experience with accessible design. You thrive on feedback and can transform user ideas into elegant, effective designs for a diverse audience. Everyone on our team brings their own unique experience. We embrace quality, creativity, and constant collaboration.
About the Role: You’ll join a talent network of passionate designers who work to apply their skills to deliver elegant, accessible, and user-focused design services. The nature of our work will provide you with an opportunity to touch on a variety of design topics such as, constructing storyboards and user journeys; defining user personas; conducting concept and usability testing; and developing wireframes and prototypes. You should also feel confident in identifying creative ways to solve UX/UI challenges and presenting design ideas and research through visual facilitation. Preference may be given to candidates who have experience with project management, change management, and designing onboarding processes - though we’d love to hear what unique skills you would bring to the team.
Interested? Drop us an application. We can’t wait to hear about your experience and what type of work makes you excited to dive in. We really value people who want to learn on the job, but here are some base requirements:
● You’re mission-focused and know why, what, and who you are designing for.
● You have exceptional visual chops to satisfy different usability needs across a variety of stakeholders.
● You understand the balance between aesthetics and functionality when it comes to product design and development.
● You thrive off collaboration with other Designers and Front-End Developers.
● You understand why inclusive product design is so important for social and economic mobility and how to build an inclusive product.
● You understand how to develop creative solutions to simple problems.
● You enjoy creating and refining both low-fidelity digital design and high-fidelity final UI design.
● You have strong awareness and understanding of design thinking methodology.
Nice to Haves:
● You’re familiar with user-focused digital design projects.
● You have experience working with a team of multi-disciplinary thinkers in afast-paced environment (and you’re excited to do it again!)
● Systems are your style - you're a design-thinking process fiend.
● You’re proficient in all kinds of prototyping tools - from Adobe XD to Figma to Sketch (and beyond!)
● You have experience working in a start-up environment.
● You have strong knowledge of UX principles and best practices, including understanding when and where user testing and research should be incorporated into the product design process.
● You know how to get to the bottom of your user personas - you've created wireframes and prototypes to test on your users, conducted card sorting sessions, performed user interviews, or even built website heatmaps.
Due to COVID-19, Button has gone fully remote. As such, we’re welcoming applications from across Canada. However, preference may be given to applicants in Victoria, BC.
Button is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and welcome everyone to our team. We hire talent regardless of “race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family status, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, political belief, or conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment”. Button encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Any information received that relates to an accommodation will be addressed in a confidential manner.