Button is hiring a
Since 2018, Button has been building reliable technology and services for government with the goal of creating a more sustainable future through digital transformation. Our Agile, multi-disciplinary team works on truly impactful technology projects – from emissions reporting for climate action to creating solutions for managing a global pandemic. We create secure, easy-to-use systems that maximize citizen impact. We are passionate about creating stronger communities through technology, and have our sights set on expanding across Canada in 2021 and beyond.
This position can be funded through a hiring grant. Please see the qualifications in the application form.
We’re looking for a UI Designer to join our team who is passionate about social good and wants the opportunity to have impact in their work. Developing creative solutions to complex user interaction problems should get you excited, and you should be familiar with evidence- and context-based design. We’re interested to hear from designers who are enthusiastic about mentorship, continuous learning, and strategic design thinking – or whatever makes you tick – we’d love to hear about it.
- Develop UI components and style guides for a variety of stakeholders
- Effectively communicate your designs to a multi-disciplinary team
- Address product and/or service, marketing, and business needs
- Conduct industry research and stay up to date on best practices and emerging technologies
- Support the facilitation of usability testing sessions
- Develop consistent and intuitive architecture
- Support a multi-disciplinary team to ensure features are implemented as intended
We really value people who want to learn on the job, but we hope that you bring the following experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree and/or diploma relating to design
- Experience with web application design
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team and collaborating on designs with other designers and developers
- An understanding of responsive design and grid principles
- An understanding of tools such as, Figma, Adobe XD, InVision, or Sketch
- Experience in, or willingness to learn, planning, conducting and analyzing basic user research
- An understanding of the ideation and creation of UI design deliverables, such as sitemaps, user flows, wireframes, lo-fi and hi-fi layouts, and prototypes
- Strong typography, layout, and visual design skills
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Strong attention to detail
Nice to Haves
- Experience developing creative solutions to complex UI problems
- Experience creating rapid prototypes
- Experience working on UI design deliverables
- An understanding of the Agile way of working
Due to COVID-19, Button has gone fully remote. As such, we’re welcoming applications from across Canada. Preference may be given to candidates in Victoria, BC.
Button is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and welcome everyone to our team. We hire talent regardless of “race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family status, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, political belief, or conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment”. Button encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Any information received that relates to an accommodation will be addressed in a confidential manner.