Button is hiring a
Since 2018, Button has been building reliable technology and services for government with the goal of creating a more sustainable future through digital transformation. Our Agile, multi-disciplinary team works on truly impactful technology projects – from emissions reporting for climate action to creating solutions for managing a global pandemic. We create secure, easy-to-use systems that maximize citizen impact. We are passionate about creating stronger communities through co-creation, and have our sights set on expanding across Canada in 2021 and beyond.
This position can be funded through a hiring grant. Please see the qualifications in the application form.
We’re looking for a Service Designer to join our team who is passionate about social good and wants the opportunity to have impact in their work. Communication and community collaboration should get you excited, and you should be familiar with evidence- and context-based design. We’re interested to hear from designers who are enthusiastic about mentorship, continuous learning, and strategic design thinking – or whatever makes you tick – we’d love to hear about it.
- Analyze failure within services and identify root causes for that failure
- Identify opportunities for optimization and experience improvement within existing services
- Understand user needs and identify where separate interactions with the user should act as one service that meets those needs
- Arrange these separate interactions into collaborative user journeys
- Look for commonalities in activities across services where solutions could be made
- Facilitate workshops to bring stakeholders together across business areas
- Create and rapidly iterate service prototypes
- Identify and design new service patterns and standards
- Collaborate with a cross-functional Agile team of designers, developers, and other technical roles
We really value people who want to learn on the job, but we hope that you bring the following experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree and/or diploma relating to design
- Experience assessing a service and providing constructive feedback
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team and collaborating with other designers and developers
- Experience uncovering and challenging constraints
- Experience conducting, analyzing, and translating research to other team members and stakeholders
- Ability to explain ideas in a way that other people understand
- Ability to explain and facilitate design decisions
- Ability to build a business case for design with and for a business area
Nice to Haves
- Experience working on sketches and prototypes
- Experience leading or facilitating workshops
- An understanding of industry tools such as, Figma and Adobe XD
- An understanding of how form and function work together
- An understanding of how to remove complexity from services
- An understanding of the Agile way of working
Due to COVID-19, Button has gone fully remote. As such, we’re welcoming applications from across Canada. Preference may be given to candidates in Victoria, BC.
Button is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and welcome everyone to our team. We hire talent regardless of “race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family status, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, political belief, or conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment”. Button encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Any information received that relates to an accommodation will be addressed in a confidential manner.